Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Sally's Thoughts

Mmm interesting subject for me, since my job and being at stay at home mom are totally intertwined. A quote I read awhile ago in BITCH magazine still resonates with me...

"Our feminist mothers said you can be ANYTHING, but what we heard, was we have to be EVERYTHING."

I am very much struggling with the women in Toronto who have put their corporate careers before their families and have their low payed immigrant nannies to do the job in which I take such great pride to do. No job, no amount of money would stop me from being the mama bear in my children's lives. People, and especially women these days do not want to sacrifice anything. For me, the strength in my parenting and my own personal feminism has come from all the sacrifices that I have made. I look at my daughter with her strong self esteem and her sense of self worth and I know that every challenging day spent at home was worth it, because I was there, like a rock, to encourage her to spread her wings and be free.

No comments:

Post a Comment